Parsnips are a creamy white root vegetable with a mild flavor, similar to, but slightly sweeter than carrots. They make a perfect partner for peas in this simple, versatile side dish.Print
Buttered Peas and Parsnips
This simple twist on classic peas and carrots makes an easy and versatile side dish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1/2 lb parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the parsnips in a saucepan with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover with cold water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and return the pan to the stove.
- Add the butter, and once melted, add the peas and sugar. Cook until the peas are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.