Balsamic-Basil Turkey Meatloaf
This moist, flavorful meatloaf is made with both ground turkey and Italian turkey sausage and flavored with balsamic vinegar and fresh basil.
Sweet balsamic vinegar and fresh basil combine with a one-to-one mix of hot Italian turkey sausage and plain ground turkey to make this tasty Italian twist on a classic American favorite.
Like all meatloaf recipes, this dish makes for an easy dinner as all the major work is done once popped it in the oven to bake. This gives you time to prepare a couple of delicious side dishes like our Parmesan-Roasted Zucchini and Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Did you know?
Although documented recipes for ground meat mixed with added fillings date back to fourth-century Rome, the first producers of the meat grinder popularized the American-style meatloaf we know today in the late 1800s.
More unique meatloaf recipes
- 1 lb ground turkey (not white meat)
- 1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage, removed from the casings
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chiffonade of fresh basil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the topping:
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place the ground turkey, turkey sausage, breadcrumbs, garlic, and basil in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add to the meat mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and press gently to firm and distribute evenly. Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl, remove the meatloaf from the oven, and spread evenly over the top.
- Continue baking the meatloaf for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F.
- Set aside to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 721mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 32g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.