Made with ground turkey, hot Italian turkey sausage, balsamic vinegar, garlic and generous amount of fresh basil, this meatloaf is moist and flavorful and has a tender, almost delicate texture.
Serve with: Parmesan-Roasted Zucchini and Garlic Mashed Potatoes.Print
Balsamic-Basil Turkey Meatloaf
A moist, flavorful meatloaf made with a combination of ground turkey and Italian turkey sausage and flavored with balsamic vinegar, garlic and fresh basil.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dishes
- 1 lb ground turkey (not white meat)
- 1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage, removed from the casings
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chiffonade of fresh basil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the topping:
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place the ground turkey, turkey sausage, breadcrumbs, garlic and basil in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Add to the meat mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and press gently to firm and distribute evenly. Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl, remove the meatloaf from the oven and spread evenly over the top. Continue baking the meatloaf for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing.