This easy chicken recipe makes it from pan to table in relatively short order. It’s a tasty combination of boneless chicken breasts dredged in seasoned flour and pan fried until golden, and a light, creamy pan sauce flavored with fresh cilantro, lime juice and a handful of chopped scallions. Serve with white or brown rice and a simple green vegetable like sautéed spinach or steamed broccoli for a quick and flavorful meal.Print
Chicken with Cilantro-Lime Cream Sauce
This recipe for boneless chicken breasts is flavored with a spicy seasoning blend and topped with a light, creamy sauce made with fresh lime juice, cilantro and cream.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves (1 to 1–1/4 lbs)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1–1/2 tablespoons spicy seasoning blend (see below)
- Vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1–1/2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 thin lime slices for garnish (optional)
Spicy seasoning blend:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- If your chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use. Place each breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound gently to a thickness of about 1/2-inch.
- In a shallow dish (a pie plate works well), combine the flour with 1-1/2 tablespoons of the seasoning blend. You should have about 1/2 teaspoon of the blend remaining – reserve this for finishing the sauce.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Film the bottom of a large, heavy skillet with vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, 2-1/2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Add the chicken broth and sugar to the pan and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the lime juice, green onions and remaining seasoning blend. Continue cooking for about 1 minute, just until the scallions soften slightly. Whisk in the cream until blended, then stir in the cilantro.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken and garnish with lime slices if desired. Serve immediately.
You can substitute the seasoning blend ingredients listed here with your favorite store bought variety. Emeril’s Original Essence is a good choice.