Chicken with Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce
This easy chicken recipe makes it from pan to table in relatively short order. It’s a tasty combination of boneless chicken breasts dredged in seasoned flour and pan fried until golden, and a light, creamy pan sauce flavored with fresh cilantro, lime juice and a handful of chopped scallions. Serve with white or brown rice and a simple green vegetable like sautéed spinach or steamed broccoli for a quick and flavorful meal.
Chicken with Cilantro-Lime Cream Sauce
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, 4 pieces
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoons spicy seasoning blend, see below
- Vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 thin lime slices for garnish, optional
For the spicy seasoning blend:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- If your chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use.
- Place each breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound gently to a thickness of about 1/2-inch.
- In a shallow dish (a pie plate works well), combine the flour with 1-1/2 tablespoons of the seasoning blend. You should have about 1/2 teaspoon of the blend remaining – reserve this for finishing the sauce.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Coat the bottom of a large, heavy skillet with vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, 2-1/2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Add the chicken broth and sugar to the pan and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the lime juice, green onions, and remaining seasoning blend.
- Continue cooking for about 1 minute, just until the scallions soften slightly. Whisk in the cream until blended, then stir in the cilantro.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken and garnish with lime slices if desired. Serve immediately.