Baked Stuffed Cod
This foolproof recipe for moist and flaky baked cod fillets is topped with a mixture of buttered fresh breadcrumbs, garlic, and chopped parsley.
Calling this baked fish recipe “stuffed” is a bit of a misnomer because the cod fillets are simply topped with a buttery combination of fresh breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, and a pinch of crushed red pepper, but no matter what you call it, it’s a delicious and easy way to cook fish.
Because this dish is quick enough for a weeknight dinner, yet impressive enough to serve for company, we make it often and have even included it in our Italian Christmas Eve Dinner Menu.
- 1 to 1-1/4 lbs cod fillets, about 1 inch thick (see notes for substitutions)
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and thoroughly coat a baking dish with nonstick spray and add the cod fillets.
- Try to choose a dish that will accommodate your fish in a single layer with little or no room left over. If your fillets have thin portions (as most do), it's a good idea to overlap them a bit to keep the thickness somewhat uniform.
- Drizzle the fish with 1 tablespoon each of the lemon juice and olive oil, then season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a separate skillet, heat the remaining olive oil together with the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and sauté just until garlic begins to turn golden (do not brown).
- Remove from the heat, stir in the remaining lemon juice, breadcrumbs and parsley.
- Spread the crumb mixture evenly over the fish and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily.
- Serve immediately (this dish is served casserole-style - you don't have to portion out individual fillets).
This recipe works nicely with just about any thick, flaky white fish. If you can't get cod, try haddock, pollack, or grouper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 406mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 35g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.