Baked Stuffed Cod
This baked fish recipe is easy to make and practically foolproof. Calling it “stuffed” is a bit of a misnomer because the cod fillets are simply topped with a buttery combination of fresh breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley and a pinch of crushed red pepper. Regardless, it's a delicious way to serve fish – quick enough for a weeknight dinner, yet impressive enough to serve for company.
- 1 to 1-1/4 lbs cod fillets, about 1 inch thick (see notes for substitutions)
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and thoroughly coat a baking dish with nonstick spray and add the cod fillets.
- Try to choose a dish that will accommodate your fish in a single layer with little or no room left over. If your fillets have thin portions (as most do), it's a good idea to overlap them a bit to keep the thickness somewhat uniform.
- Drizzle the fish with 1 tablespoon each of the lemon juice and olive oil, then season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a separate skillet, heat the remaining olive oil together with the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and sauté just until garlic begins to turn golden (do not brown).
- Remove from the heat, stir in the remaining lemon juice, breadcrumbs and parsley.
- Spread the crumb mixture evenly over the fish and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily. Serve immediately (this dish is served casserole-style - you don't have to portion out individual fillets).
This recipe works nicely with just about any thick, flaky white fish. If you can't get cod, try haddock, pollack or grouper.
This recipe is part of our Christmas Eve In The Italian Tradition holiday menu.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 406mg Carbohydrates: 16g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 35g