This main dish salad is a tasty (and healthy) combination of grilled steak, potatoes, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and onions served warm atop a plate of salad greens. Grilling the potatoes, tomatoes and mushrooms in sealed foil packets lets you prepare the whole meal on the grill and makes for easy cleanup too.
Don’t want to grill? Be sure to check our notes for easy indoor preparation.Print
Warm Steak and Potato Salad
This tasty combination of grilled sirloin, baby potatoes, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms is served over mixed greens to make a hearty main dish salad.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- Category: Salads
- 2 top sirloin steaks (about 1-inch thick, 6 ounces)
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 2 thick slices sweet onion
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 12 cremini or white button mushrooms, stems removed
- Mixed salad greens
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat (450 to 475°F) and remove the steaks from the refrigerator to allow them to come to room temperature.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and a few grinds of black pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Tear off one large and two medium-sized sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil and coat each with nonstick spray.
- Place the potatoes in a mixing bowl, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Transfer the potatoes to one side of the largest sheet of foil and place the onion slices on top. Fold the foil over and crimp the edges to make a tightly sealed packet.
- Toss the whole cherry tomatoes with olive oil as well, then transfer them to one of the remaining foil sheets and make another sealed packet. Repeat the process with the mushroom caps.
- Place the potato and veggie packets on the grill, cover and cook for 20 minutes, turning the packets over midway through the cooking time.
- Remove the mushroom and tomato packets and continue cooking the potatoes until tender, 5 to 10 minutes additional. Carefully open the foil packets and set them aside to cool.
- Brush both sides of the steaks with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Oil the grill grates as well and add the steaks. Grill for 4 minutes on the first side, turn and grill for an additional 2 to 4 minutes depending on desired doneness.
- Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- While the steaks rest, divide the salad greens between 2 serving plates and arrange the potatoes, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms around the edges.
- Carve the steaks into thin slices and arrange in the center of the plates. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
No Grill? No Problem
This salad can also be prepared by oven-roasting the potatoes and onions at 425°F for 25 minutes, sautéeing the tomatoes and mushrooms separately, then pan-searing the steaks and finishing them in the oven (also at 425°F) for 5 to 7 minutes on the same pan you used for the potatoes.