Tortilla soup is one of those dishes that seems to have as many variations as there are people who make it. Flavored with Mexican-inspired spices and fresh lime, our tortilla soup recipe is a hearty combination of chicken, corn, tomatoes, scallions and Monterey Jack cheese. Served with a salad, it makes an easy and flavorful one-dish meal.
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3/4 lb boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup cream or half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Tabasco sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a small stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the jalapeños and continue cooking until they are crisp-tender, 2 minutes longer. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander and oregano and continue cooking until the spices are fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir in the chicken broth, then add the chicken. Bring the mixture to a slow simmer (reduce the heat if necessary), cover and cook until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the middle, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, allow it to cool for a few minutes, then use 2 forks to shred it into small pieces. Set aside until needed.
- Stir the diced tomatoes and crushed tortilla chips into the broth mixture and continue cooking just long enough for the chips to start thickening the broth, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a hand-held or conventional blender, purée the soup until smooth, then add the cream and shredded cheese and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the corn and cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Add the fresh tomato and scallions, reserving about 1 tablespoon of each for garnishing the bowls.
- Stir in the lime juice and zest, taste, adjust the seasonings and add some Tabasco if desired.
- To serve, ladle the soup into 4 bowls and top each with some diced fresh tomato, scallions and cilantro.