This soup is made with a puréed blend of cabbage, potatoes, chicken broth, milk and cream combined with crumbled bacon and sautéed leeks. It works equally well as a main course, lunch or starter to a light meal.Print
Creamy Cabbage, Leek and Potato Soup
To make this thick and hearty soup we’ve puréed cabbage, potato and a little cream together, then stirred in crumbled bacon and leeks sautéed in butter.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 to 8 servings 1x
- 1 medium head green cabbage (about 1–3/4 lbs), cored and chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes (about 1/2 lb), peeled and diced
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 4 to 6 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the cabbage and continue cooking until slightly softened, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the potatoes, chicken broth, bay leaf and vinegar. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a rapid simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is very soft, 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the cabbage is cooking, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a separate pan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring often, until tender and sweet, 5 to 6 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Once the cabbage is done cooking, remove the bay leaf and add the milk and cream. Purée the mixture using a hand-held or conventional blender. Note: If using a conventional blender, you should allow the soup to cool a bit first, then purée it in small batches.
- Stir the leeks and crumbled bacon into the puréed soup, taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Serve immediately.