Greek Egg and Lemon Soup (Avgolemono Soupa)
Made with just a few simple ingredients, Greek Egg and Lemon Soup is a uniquely flavored, velvety smooth soup that's satisfying enough to make a whole meal.
Egg and Lemon Soup (Avgolemono Soupa) is a classic Greek soup thickened with eggs and rice and richly flavored with lemon juice and lemon zest.
Along with olive oil, oregano, and garlic, lemons are one of the most common ingredients in Greek cuisine.
In addition to combining the tart, citrusy flavor of lemons with eggs in this easy-to-make soup, egg and lemon sauce is frequently used as a topping for fish, vegetables, and dolmades (grape leaves stuffed with rice).
First course or main dish?
This soup is nice to serve as a first course (the recipe makes four servings), but we think it's hearty enough to make a complete meal.
Occasionally we add a little extra protein in the form of shredded chicken, but most often we simply serve it with a Greek salad on the side.
Tips for making Greek Egg and Lemon Soup
- Once you've combined your egg whites and yolks, you'll need to temper the mixture before adding it to the hot broth and rice. Tempering prevents curdling, and it's done by slowly whisking a little of the hot chicken broth into the egg mixture to warm it.
- After your eggs have been tempered, it's important to stir them into the hot broth slowly and evenly.
- Greek Egg and Lemon Soup doesn't reheat well, so it's best not to make more than you'll use in one meal. If you do have leftovers, reheat in the microwave at 50% power and give the soup a stir every 45 seconds or so.
More classic Greek recipes
- Skordalia (Greek Potato-Garlic Dip)
- Pastitsio (Greek Meat and Pasta Pie)
- Greek Meatballs with Orzo and Feta
- Moussaka (Greek Eggplant and Lamb Casserole)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup short-grain white rice
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Juice of 1-1/2 lemons (3 tablespoons - or more to taste)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh dill or parsley for garnish
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil and add the rice.
- Stir for about 2 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- While the rice cooks, whisk the egg whites until frothy and beginning to thicken.
- Add the yolks and whisk together until light and creamy.
- While continuing to whisk, slowly drizzle in about 1/2 cup of the simmering broth, then add the lemon juice.
- Remove the soup from the heat and gradually add the egg mixture, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the lemon zest and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh herbs if desired and serve immediately.
If desired, add about 1 cup of shredded, cooked chicken breast.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 279mgSodium: 652mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 24g