Sweet and Sour Spinach with Bacon
This recipe adds a sweet and sour element and a touch of cream to the already delicious flavor combo of spinach and bacon. It's a versatile side dish that can be served with all sorts of entrees, including roast chicken, grilled steak or pan-seared pork chops.
- 1 package (20-ounce) frozen chopped spinach
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pan, fry the bacon until nicely crisped, drain on paper towels and set aside. Pour off the fat and add the spinach to the pan.
- Cook the spinach over medium heat, stirring frequently, until all of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the apple cider vinegar and sugar and cook until the sugar is thoroughly dissolved. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the butter and heavy cream. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the butter has melted and the cream is blended into the spinach, 2 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Transfer to a serving bowl.