This hearty burger recipe gets its unique flavor by swapping traditional toppings like ketchup and pickles for three classic Southern favorites: Fried Green Tomatoes, homemade Pimento Cheese and slice of grilled Vidalia onion.Print
Southern-Style Burgers with Fried Green Tomatoes
This tasty burger recipe pairs juicy beef patties with fried green tomatoes, pimento cheese and slice of Vidalia onion to give a Southern-style twist to burgers from the grill.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Place the ground beef in a shallow bowl. Add the salt, a few grinds of black pepper, mayonnaise and panko. The mayonnaise and panko help to hold the juices in the burger during cooking without changing the flavor or texture of the beef. The coarse texture of the panko is important because unlike dry breadcrumbs, they don't add density to ground beef.
- Use a wooden spatula to combine the meat ingredients as best you can before doing a final, gentle mix with your hands. Gently form the patties into quarter-pound portions and make a slight depression in the center of each with your thumb. This helps the burgers maintain an even thickness rather than developing a thicker “dome” in the center. Transfer to a plate and chill for at least 15 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to a medium-high temperature (about 400°F) and oil the grates.
- Add the onion slices and grill until lightly browned, 1-1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the burgers and grill for approximately 4 minutes on the first side. You'll know when it's time to turn them because juices will begin to bead on the top of each burger indicating that they are cooked through the center.
- Use a spatula to turn them and grill for an additional 2 to 3 minutes on the second side, adding the pimento cheese after about 1 minute. Transfer the burgers to a plate and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- To serve, place a fried green tomato on the bottom of each bun. Top with an onion slice and a burger.