This homemade cheese spread is a quick and easy Southern-style favorite made with diced pimentos, sharp cheddar, cream cheese, and a touch of mayo. You can whip it up in just a few minutes and use it as a spread for crackers.
Pimentos are small red peppers with a sweet flavor and very little (if any) heat. We’re all familiar with them as the colorful stuffing in jarred green olives, but they’re readily available on their own. Just check the pickle aisle of your local grocer.
5 Alternate Ways to Use Pimento Cheese
- Use it as a spread for sandwiches (try it on a soft roll with ham)
- Replace the cream cheese in stuffed celery
- Spread atop a juicy grilled burger
- Stir it into creamy grits
- Use it in a quesadilla
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Dash of hot sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped pimentos, well drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add the cheddar cheese, cream cheese, garlic, lemon juice, mayonnaise and hot sauce to a small mixing bowl and combine until creamy and well blended.
- Stir in the pimentos and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For best flavor, cover and let stand for at least 30 minutes. Leftover spread can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.