Ready in just under 45 minutes, this light and easy one-dish dinner combines tender, white meat of chicken, fresh asparagus and whole wheat thin spaghetti with Asian-inspired ingredients like ginger, garlic, scallions and sesame to create a perfect blend of flavors and texture.
Sesame Noodles with Chicken and Asparagus
- 10 ounces whole wheat thin spaghetti
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, preferably thin
- 5 to 6 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or Chinese black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha, more or less to taste
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the noodles.
- Cut the chicken tenderloins in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer to a small bowl and add the sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Toss to combine and set aside for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Trim the tough bottoms from the asparagus spears, then cut off the tips and set aside. Cut the stalks into 1-1/4-inch pieces and set aside separately from the tips.
- Prepare the sauce by combining the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and sriracha in a measuring cup. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then set aside.
- Cook and drain the pasta according to package directions, then add the sauce and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear for 1 minute, then add the asparagus stalks. Continue stir-frying until the chicken is cooked through and the asparagus is crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add the reserved asparagus tips, cook 1-1/2 minutes longer, then add the scallions. Cook for an additional minute, then add the mixture to the noodles along with the cilantro and sesame seeds. Combine well and serve immediately.