Inspired by traditional Fettucine Alfredo and enhanced with seasonal flavors, this pasta recipe is one of our favorite fall dinners.
It’s really easy to make too. We start by frying up thin strips of pancetta (Italian bacon) until crisp, then sautéing a little onion and garlic in olive oil.
Next, we add a handful of pine nuts and toast them lightly before adding the remaining sauce ingredients.
Pumpkin puree, half-and-half, grated Parmesan cheese, and fresh sage are simmered along with the onion-garlic mixtures to allow the flavors to blend before tossing with cooked fettuccine.
Creamy Pumpkin Pancetta Fettuccine
- 9 ounces fresh fettuccine
- 1-1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup half-and-half, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 lb sliced pancetta, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, pignoli
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped (or more to taste)
- Put a pot of salted water on to boil for the fettuccine.
- Combine the pumpkin purée, half-and-half, and parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper and set aside.
- Fry the pancetta until crisp and lightly browned, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Drain the fat from the pan, but don’t wipe it out.
- Add the olive oil and onion and place the pan back on the stove over medium heat. Sauté the onion until softened, 2 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the pine nuts, season with a few grinds of black pepper (no salt), and continue cooking for about 2 minutes longer, stirring often so the garlic does not brown.
- Return the pancetta to the pan, add the sage, and combine well.
- Stir in the pumpkin mixture and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- While the pumpkin sauce is cooking, cook and drain the fettuccine according to package directions.
- Return the pasta to the pan, add the pumpkin sauce and toss with tongs to combine, adding a little extra half-and-half if needed. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply