One-Pan Smothered Chicken and Mushrooms
This recipe for smothered chicken and mushrooms is a delicious one-pan dinner that's both easy to make and filled with good, wholesome ingredients.
How to Make Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms
Prep begins by dredging quick-cooking chicken tenderloins in flour, browning them lightly and setting them aside while you start a simple sauce by sautéing onion and garlic for flavor.
Next comes a quick deglazing of the pan with white wine, then the mushrooms are added, the chicken and spinach are layered on top, and the whole mixture is simmered in chicken broth for a few minutes.
The flour coating on the chicken thickens the sauce as it simmers and the finishing touch is a layer of creamy, melted cheese that pulls all the yummy flavors together.
You can serve this dish with a side like mashed potatoes, but truthfully, we find it plenty satisfying on its own and like to keep the meal low-carb by serving it with just a small salad on the side.
- 12 chicken tenderloins (about 1-1/4 lbs )
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 8 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth (plus more if needed)
- 3 to 4 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped (about 3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 slices Muenster or Havarti cheese
- Trim any white tendons from the tenderloins and discard.
- Combine the flour with 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of black pepper in a zip-top bag. Add the chicken and shake until coated.
- Coat the bottom of a large frying pan with vegetable oil and heat on medium-high. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until barely golden, 1 minute per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan, sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes, then add the garlic.
- Continue cooking for another minute, then deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any browned bits that may have accumulated on the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and arrange the chicken tenderloins on top.
- Pour the broth over the chicken and as soon as it begins to bubble, scatter the spinach on top and cover the pan.
- Continue cooking until the tenderloins are cooked all the way through, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Using a spatula, turn the chicken and incorporate the spinach into the sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Top with chopped parsley and arrange the cheese slices on top. Cover and cook just long enough to melt the cheese, 1 minute more.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 505Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 482mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 59g