This hearty vegetarian pita melt is our version of a sandwich shop favorite that definitely won’t leave you missing the meat.
Made with sautéed onions, garlic, bell peppers, mushrooms and creamy melted Muenster cheese, this tasty combo is stuffed into a warm pita pocket and finished with some cool, crisp lettuce and sliced tomato to add a delicious contrast in texture and temperature.
How to make this easy pita melt:
- Soften your pita bread by wrapping it in dampened parchment paper and putting it in a low oven to warm.
- Sauté the mushrooms and set aside, then sauté onion and garlic, add the bell peppers and cook until tender.
- Return the mushrooms to the pan, combine, reduce the heat and top with cheese.
- While the cheese melts, take the pita out of the oven and cut them in half.
- Spoon the veggies and cheese into the pita pockets, add sliced tomato and fresh lettuce and serve.
Serve with one or more of the following:
- Spicy Garlic Oven Fries
- Frozen shoestring fries
- Your favorite potato chips
- Pickles (we’re a fan of Boar’s Head Kosher Dill Pickle Spears)
Pepper and Mushroom Pita Melt
- 2 6-inch pitas, halved
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 large, sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red, or yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- Sliced tomato
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Crumple a sheet of parchment paper into a ball, unfold it and run it under cool water. Shake off the excess, wrap the pita bread tightly and place it in the oven, seam side down.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until any liquid they give off has evaporated and they start to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Return the pan to the stove over medium heat and add the remaining oil. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add the peppers and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Return the mushrooms to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Distribute the vegetables evenly over the bottom of the pan and cover with slices of cheese. Cover the pan and allow the cheese to melt slowly.
- Remove the pitas from the oven, cut each in half and spoon in a portion of the veggie-cheese mixture.
- Add lettuce and sliced tomatoes and serve immediately.