Pepper and Mushroom Pita Melt
This vegetarian pita pocket is stuffed with sautéed mushrooms and peppers, creamy melted cheese, fresh tomatoes, and crisp lettuce to make a satisfying, healthy meal.
This hearty vegetarian pita melt is our version of a sandwich shop favorite that definitely won't leave you missing the meat.
It's made with sautéed onions, garlic, bell peppers, and mushrooms topped with creamy melted Muenster cheese.
The tasty combo is stuffed into a warm pita pocket and finished with some cool, crisp lettuce and sliced tomato to add a delicious contrast in texture and temperature.
Serve with Spicy Garlic Oven Fries or your favorite chips.
- 2 (6-inch) pitas, halved
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 large, sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red (or yellow) bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- Sliced tomato
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Crumple a sheet of parchment paper into a ball, unfold it and run it under cool water. Shake off the excess, wrap the pita bread tightly and place it in the oven, seam side down.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until any liquid they give off has evaporated and they start to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Return the pan to the stove over medium heat and add the remaining oil. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add the peppers and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Return the mushrooms to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Distribute the vegetables evenly over the bottom of the pan and cover with slices of cheese. Cover the pan and allow the cheese to melt slowly.
- Remove the pitas from the oven, cut each in half and spoon in a portion of the veggie-cheese mixture.
- Add lettuce and sliced tomatoes and serve immediately.
To double this recipe, we recommend using 2 separate pans to accommodate the larger quantity of vegetables. It's important not to overcrowd the pan so that everything browns properly and all liquid has evaporated.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 510 Total Fat: 38g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 23g Cholesterol: 54mg Sodium: 518mg Carbohydrates: 27g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 15g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 19g