The fabulous flavor combo of sautéed onions, peppers and mushrooms, along with fresh tomato and melted Muenster is all you need for a delicious vegetarian sandwich that won't leave you missing the meat. Serve with Spicy Garlic Oven Fries or your favorite chips.Print
Pepper and Mushroom Pita Melt
Sauteed mushrooms, peppers and onions and melted muenster served in a warm pita pocket makes a quick, easy, meatless meal.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- Category: Sandwiches
- Cuisine: American
- 2 (6-inch) pita loaves, halved
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 large, sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red, yellow or orange bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- Sliced tomato
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Crumple a sheet of parchment paper into a ball, unfold it and run it under cool water. Shake off the excess, wrap the pita bread tightly and place it in the oven, seam side down.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until any liquid they give off has evaporated and they start to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, transfer the mushrooms to a plate and set aside..
- Return the pan to the stove over medium heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add the peppers and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Return the mushrooms to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Distribute the vegetables evenly over the bottom of the pan and cover with slices of cheese. Cover the pan and allow the cheese to melt slowly.
- Remove the pita bread from the oven, cut the loaves in half and spoon a portion of the veggie-cheese mixture into each.
- Add lettuce and sliced tomato if desired and serve immediately.
To double this recipe, we recommend using 2 separate pans to accommodate the larger quantity of vegetables. It's important not to overcrowd the pan so that everything browns properly and all liquid has evaporated.