Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Flavored with classic Mexican ingredients, these cheese-topped stuffed peppers are filled with a blend of ground beef, tomatoes, and rice.
Once you know basics for making stuffed peppers, flavor and ingredient variations are easy to achieve, and this recipe for Mexican stuffed peppers is a perfect example.
The classic filling of ground beef and rice is flavored with savory, Mexican-inspired ingredients that include poblano pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, cumin, fresh cilantro and scallions.
Once filled, the sweet bell peppers are topped with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and baked until bubbly to make an easy one-dish dinner.
Be sure to check out our other stuffed pepper recipes too!
- Pepper-Stuffed Peppers with Chorizo
- Turkey Sausage and Orzo Stuffed Peppers
- Mediterranean Lamb Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers (assorted colors), halved lengthwise, cored and seeded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and coat a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Arrange the halved peppers on the prepared pan, season lightly with salt and pepper and bake until crisp-tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the peppers bake, heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the ground beef. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper and sauté until lightly browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat to a bowl and set aside.
- Drain the fat from the pan, add the olive oil and return it to the stove over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the poblano pepper, garlic and ground cumin. Continue cooking until the poblano is tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Stir in the tomatoes and rice and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the ground beef, combine well and taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the scallions and cilantro and combine. Divide the beef mixture between the pepper halves and top each with a portion of shredded cheese.
- Bake until the peppers are hot and the cheese has melted, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 592 Total Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 126mg Sodium: 407mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Protein: 41g