It’s an indisputable fact that the pungent layers of olive salad are what makes New Orleans’ famous muffuletta sandwich so unique and delicious. We decided to experiment with that concept a bit and came up with a Mediterranean-style version. We made a fresh basil vinaigrette and combined it with fresh and sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers and onion, then layered it with a fabulous selection of Italian cold cuts on crusty ciabatta bread.
Print Recipe Pin Recipe SaveSaved!
Fresh basil vinaigrette, tomatoes and roasted red peppers combine to make a relish for a Mediterranean-style version of the classic New Orleans muffaletta sandwich.
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, about 6 x 12 inches
- 1/4 lb prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb soppressata, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb Genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb mortadella, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb asiago cheese, thinly sliced
For the relish:
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, chopped (about 1 medium)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Make the relish by combining the tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, onion, and roasted red pepper in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, and basil to the work bowl of a food processor or chopper.
- Pulse until the basil and garlic are finely chopped. Add to the tomato mixture, combine well and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Slice the ciabatta bread into top and bottom halves and spread the relish evenly over both.
- Layer the cold cuts and cheese on top of the relish and put the halves together.
- Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes to allow the relish to soak into the bread a bit.
- Slice crosswise into six pieces and serve.
Have you tried this recipe?Did you add your own special touch? We’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a rating to share your thoughts with others.
Leave a Reply