The combination of tart green apples and fresh lemon zest offers an amazingly delicious contrast to the natural sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes in this easy-to-make side dish.
It’s a favorite of ours for holiday dinners as it pairs well with traditional entrees like turkey, roast pork, and ham, and can easily be made ahead and reheated.
Lemony Sweet Potatoes w/Apples and Sage
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons honey
- Juice and zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the sweet potatoes together with the oil until evenly coated, then season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and spread out in a single layer.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender and lightly golden around the edges.
- While the sweet potatoes roast, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and whisk in the honey, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Add the apples and sage and cook, stirring often, until the apples are tender when pierced with a knife, 5 to 6 minutes.
- When the sweet potatoes have finished roasting, add them to the apples, combine well and transfer the mixture to a casserole dish that’s been coated with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then serve immediately.
Leave a Reply