Tart Granny Smith apples, fresh sage, lemon juice and lemon zest are fabulous complements for the roasted sweet potatoes in this flavorful side dish casserole.Print
Lemony Sweet Potatoes w/Apples and Sage
A delicious side dish of roasted sweet potatoes combined with tart Granny Smith apples, fragrant fresh sage and lemon zest.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1–1/2 tablespoons honey
- Juice and zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, oil, salt and a few grinds of black pepper in a large bowl. Toss to combine, then spread the sweet potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender and golden brown around the edges.
- While the sweet potatoes roast, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the honey, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add the apples and sage and cook, stirring often, until the apples are tender when pierced with a knife, 5 to 6 minutes.
- When the sweet potatoes have finished roasting, add them to the apples, combine well and transfer the mixture to a casserole dish that’s been coated with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then serve immediately.