Lemony Sweet Potatoes w/Apples and Sage
This is an easy side dish of roasted sweet potatoes combined with tart Granny Smith apples, fragrant fresh sage, and lemon zest.
The combination of tart green apples and fresh lemon zest offers an amazingly delicious contrast to the natural sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes in this easy-to-make side dish.
It’s a favorite of ours for holiday dinners as it pairs well with traditional entrees like turkey, roast pork, and ham, and can easily be made ahead and reheated.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons honey
- Juice and zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the sweet potatoes together with the oil until evenly coated, then season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and spread out in a single layer.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender and lightly golden around the edges.
- While the sweet potatoes roast, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and whisk in the honey, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Add the apples and sage and cook, stirring often, until the apples are tender when pierced with a knife, 5 to 6 minutes.
- When the sweet potatoes have finished roasting, add them to the apples, combine well and transfer the mixture to a casserole dish that's been coated with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then serve immediately.
This recipe can be prepared ahead. Omit the final 10 minute baking time and instead, cover the casserole dish tightly and refrigerate for up to two days.
To reheat, preheat the oven to 375°F, cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and return to the oven for 10 minutes longer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 7gSugar: 24gProtein: 4g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.