This creamy sweet potato side dish is flavored with freshly squeezed lemon juice and English mustard. The fresh lemon juice is a delicious addition, cutting the sweetness of the potatoes just a little. Combined with the subtle heat from the mustard this pair of ingredients turns simple sweet potatoes into a uniquely flavored, versatile side dish. It makes a delicious accompaniment for roast chicken, turkey or pork.
Print Recipe Pin Recipe SaveSaved!
Creamy Sweet Potatoes with Mustard and Lemon
A simple side dish of mashed sweet potatoes flavored with spicy yellow mustard and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, about 3 large, peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared English mustard, Colman’s
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, 1-1/2 tablespoons or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes. Place in a saucepan, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender when pierced with a knife, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and return to the pan.
- Place the pan back on the heat and allow the water to evaporate, 1/2 to 1 minute. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the butter, cream and mustard. Stir to combine and once the butter melts, mash all the ingredients together with a potato masher. Stir in the lemon juice, season to taste with salt and pepper and add more lemon juice and/or mustard if desired. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is adapted from a version sent to us by the folks at Colman’s Mustard.
Have you tried this recipe?Did you add your own special touch? We’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a rating to share your thoughts with others.
Leave a Reply