Sausage and green peppers are a perfect flavor combination and together they make this quick weeknight pasta dish as delicious as it is easy to prepare.
Use your favorite cut of pasta along with fully-cooked smoked or Italian sausage, sautéed green peppers, diced tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream for a hint of creaminess and you have a simple but satisfying one-dish dinner.Print
Creamy Pasta with Smoked Sausage and Peppers
Smoked sausage, green pepper, diced tomatoes and a touch of sour cream combine with your favorite cut of pasta to make a quick one-dish dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 8 ounces pasta (rotini, penne, rigatoni)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces smoked or Italian sausage (fully cooked), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, undrained
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Put a pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add the sausage and sauté just until it starts to brown around the edges, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the onion and continue cooking until softened, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Add the garlic and green pepper and combine well.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the green pepper is crisp tender, 2 minutes, then stir in the tomatoes. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste and a pinch of salt if needed.
- Cover the pan and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the peppers are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover to keep warm while you cook and drain the pasta according to package directions.
- Combine the pasta with the sausage and peppers and stir in the sour cream. Serve immediately.