These mushrooms make an excellent extra side for just about any meal. They have the most flavor if you make them a day ahead, but you can get by with preparing them just 2 to 3 hours prior to serving. I used medium-sized white mushrooms, but criminis would work just as nicely. Adding the lemon zest just before chilling the mushrooms maintains its fresh, citrus flavor.
Lemony Marinated Mushrooms
- 16 oz white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Rinse or brush any dirt from the mushrooms and pat dry. Trim the stems and slice each mushroom into 1/4-inch slices.
- Place the vinegar, water, garlic, salt, sugar and pepper in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and add the mushrooms.
- Cook for 2 minutes and remove the pan from heat. Leave the mushrooms in the liquid and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Once the mushrooms have cooled, strain off the liquid and add the shallot, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, crushed red pepper and chopped parsley.
- Toss well and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Place in a serving dish and refrigerate for a least 2 hours. Garnish with a sprig of parsley and a dusting of sweet paprika.