These mushrooms make an excellent extra side for just about any meal. They have the most flavor if you make them a day ahead, but you can get by with preparing them just 2 to 3 hours prior to serving. I used medium-sized white mushrooms, but criminis would work just as nicely. Adding the lemon zest just before chilling the mushrooms maintains its fresh, citrus flavor.Print
Lemony Marinated Mushrooms
The addition of lemon zest and lemon juice add fresh citrus flavor to this popular salad / side dish.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 5 servings
- 16 oz white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Rinse or brush any dirt from the mushrooms and pat dry. Trim the stems and slice each mushroom into 1/4-inch slices.
- Place the vinegar, water, garlic, salt, sugar and pepper in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and add the mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes and remove the pan from heat. Leave the mushrooms in the liquid and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Once the mushrooms have cooled, strain off the liquid and add the shallot, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, crushed red pepper and chopped parsley. Toss well and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Place in a serving dish and refrigerate for a least 2 hours. Garnish with a sprig of parsley and a dusting of sweet paprika.
Mushrooms have a tendency to shrink quite a bit, so you may want to double the quantities.