Minted Couscous Salad with Tomatoes and Feta
Pearl couscous makes for a simple and versatile side dish. Tasty all on its own, it also blends well with a wide variety of other ingredients and can be served hot or at room temperature.
This recipe combines it with fresh mint, grape or cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, olive oil and lemon juice for an easy pasta salad that goes nicely with roasted chicken, grilled lamb chops or broiled fish.
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1-1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until softened, 1 minute.
- Add the couscous and stir to coat with the oil. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the garlic is fragrant and the couscous starts to develop a golden color.
- Stir in the chicken broth, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until all the broth is absorbed and the couscous is tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add a little extra broth or water if the liquid cooks off before the couscous is tender.
- Transfer the couscous to a bowl and drizzle with an additional 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Combine well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Set the couscous aside to cool to room temperature for about 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork once or twice during this time to prevent sticking.
- Whisk the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil together with the lemon juice and combine with the cooled couscous.
- Add the feta cheese, mint and tomatoes and toss well. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.