When you want something beyond plain old mustard and pickle relish on your hot dog, try this sweet and savory combination of chopped pineapple, red pepper and onion. Flavored with fresh cilantro and cayenne, this homemade relish only takes a few minutes to prepare. To accent the flavors even more, try using potato rolls instead of regular hot dog buns. The slightly sweet flavor blends in perfectly.
Grilled Hot Dogs with Pineapple-Pepper Relish
- 6 good quality franks
- Vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup fresh pineapple, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/3 cup sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon honey, or agave nectar
- 1/2 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 hot dog rolls, lightly buttered and toasted
- Preheat a grill or grill pan. Pierce the hot dogs several times with the tip of a sharp knife, brush with a little bit of vegetable oil and set aside.
- Combine the pineapple, red bell pepper, onion, cilantro, honey, vinegar, ketchup and cayenne in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving dish using a slotted spoon.
- Grill the hot dogs until golden brown and piping hot. Place in toasted buns and top with pineapple relish. Serve with coleslaw, sliced tomatoes and chips.