This tart and tangy combination of fresh lemon, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and red pepper flakes is a delicious dip for crusty Italian bread or spooned onto thin slices of toasted baguette. It goes really well with our Chunky Mixed Olive Tapenade and the pair make a great, easy-to-make start to a Mediterranean-style dinner.Print
Sicilian Lemon Dip
A intensely flavorful dip for bread made with fresh lemon, extra-virgin olive oil, garlic and sea salt.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 to 1-1/4 cups
- Category: Appetizers
- 1 lemon (preferably organic), scrubbed
- 1/2 clove garlic (or more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes – optional
- Using a paring knife or vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the lemon, leaving as much of the white pith as possible on the fruit. Add the peel to the work bowl of the food processor. Slice the lemon in half crosswise and remove the seeds, then using a spoon, scoop the segments into the processor. All that should be remaining of the lemon is the thick white pith, which can be discarded.
- Add the olive oil, water and a little salt and pepper to the processor. Pulse until the lemon juice and oil are emulsified and the lemon peel is chopped into small pieces. Taste, adjust the seasoning and add crushed red pepper if desired. Serve with crusty bread or toasted baguette.