A full-flavored fish like salmon lends itself well to the fragrant spices in this Indian-inspired dish. The fillets are simmered in a combination of garlic, fresh ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, tomatoes and coconut milk, then topped with fresh cilantro and served with steamed basmati rice on the side for soaking up all the delicious sauce.Print
Salmon With Curried Coconut-Tomato Sauce
Salmon fillets simmered in an Indian-style sauce made with coconut milk, fresh ginger, spices and tomatoes and served with steamed rice make for an easy, flavorful dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 to 1-1/4 pounds salmon fillets, skin removed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 lemon wedges
- Cut the salmon into 4 serving-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, sugar and cayenne and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute additional.
- Stir in the tomatoes and coconut milk and bring to a slow simmer. Continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salmon and turn once or twice to coat with the sauce. Simmer until the fish is cooked through, 5 minutes.
- Plate individual servings of the fish, top with sauce and serve with lemon wedges and steamed basmati rice.
Boneless chicken breasts would be delicious in this sauce as well. Simply dredge them in a little flour, brown lightly in oil and remove from the pan. Make the sauce according to the directions above, then return the chicken to the pan to finish cooking through.