Salsa verde is a fresh-flavored alternative to tomato-based salsa made with roasted tomatillos, poblano peppers, cilantro, and jalapeño.
Traditionally, salsa verde (green salsa) is made with a combination of tomatillos, green chiles, and cilantro. In addition to using it as a dip for tortilla chips, try it with tacos, or simple entrees like grilled chicken or salmon.
For extra flavor, we roast our tomatillos along with the poblano pepper, then combine them with a jalapeño pepper, scallions, garlic, cilantro, and fresh lime. The result is a brightly flavored dip with just the right amount of kick.
If you’re serving this for company and want to offer your guests a choice, whip up a batch of our easy homemade tomato salsa too!
- 8 medium tomatillos, husked and quartered
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 3 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the broiler. Wash and dry the poblano pepper and place it on a rack about 6 inches below the heat. Broil until the skin chars and blisters, turning several times.
- Watch carefully as times will vary. Remove from the oven and place the pepper in a clean paper bag, fold the top closed, and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 400°F and arrange the tomatillos in a single layer on a baking sheet. Season with a little salt and pepper and roast until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once the poblano has cooled, peel off as much skin as possible and discard the seeds and stem.
- Place the poblano and tomatillos in the work bowl of a food processor. Add the jalapeño, garlic, scallions, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Pulse until the salsa reaches a consistency you like - we like ours a little bit chunky.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl, and serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 33Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.