These simple chicken quesadillas get a bright, fresh flavor from the addition of cilantro, scallions and jalapeño peppers. A layer of cream cheese adds a creamy texture and a nice contrast to the heat of the jalapeños and pepper jack cheese.Print
Easy Chicken Quesadillas
Pepper jack cheese, fresh cilantro, jalapeno, scallions and tomato combine with shredded chicken to make these easy, fresh flavored quesadillas.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (see below)
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 or 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, coarsely shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine the cream cheese and hot sauce in a small bowl until creamy. Lay the tortillas on a flat surface and divide the cream cheese mixture between them. Spread over the entire surface to within 1/2-inch of the edge.
- Combine the jalapeños, tomato, scallions and cilantro in a separate bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange a portion evenly over half of each tortilla and top with about 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Add a portion of chicken and top with the remaining pepper jack. Fold the tortillas in half.
- Brush a heavy skillet with a thin coating of vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat. Cook the quesadillas, one at a time until the cheese melts and the tortillas are golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Brush the skillet with more oil as needed. Allow the quesadillas to cool for about 3 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve with sour cream for dipping.
Makes 4 servings
Quick Cooked Chicken
No cooked chicken on hand? No problem. Place 1 lb of chicken tenderloins in a shallow pan, season with salt and pepper and add 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth. Simmer, uncovered, turning the tenderloins several times until cooked through, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and shred using two forks.