Ground lamb and Moroccan-inspired herbs and spices combine to make the filling for these tasty pastry-wrapped appetizers. They're a great choice for entertaining and can easily be made ahead and baked just before serving. A dipping sauce of Greek yogurt and mango chutney complements the seasonings in the lamb perfectly.Print
Moroccan-Spiced Lamb Appetizer
Pastry-wrapped bites of ground lamb seasoned with Moroccan-style spices, fresh mint and parsley and served with a dipping sauce of Greek yogurt and mango chutney make a delicious, easy appetizer.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 24 pieces
- Category: Appetizers
- 3/4 lb ground lamb
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- All purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- Pinch of cayenne
- Place the lamb, shallots, garlic, mint, parsley, salt, pepper, cumin and coriander in a bowl. Combine thoroughly – using your hands works the best.
- Unfold the pastry sheet onto a lightly floured flat surface and roll out gently to smooth the creases and stretch the sheet to a 10 x 12-inch rectangle. Slice the pastry into 3 strips (10 x 4-inch) and brush with beaten egg.
- Place 1/3 of the lamb mixture lengthwise down the middle of each strip of pastry. Fold the long side of the pastry over the filling as tightly as possible and press to seal. Place each roll, seam side down on a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment. Unwrap the pastry rolls and, using a sharp knife, slice them into 8 pieces each. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and brush each piece with beaten egg. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Combine the Greek yogurt, chutney and cayenne in a small bowl and serve as a dipping sauce.