Pickled Red Onions
These quick and easy pickled onions have a bright, tangy flavor and make a delicious topping for sandwiches, burgers, tacos, and salads.
The tangy taste of this easy-to-make condiment adds a burst of flavor and beautiful color to a wide variety of dishes. They’re a tasty addition to just about any salad, but they really shine when added to sandwiches, burgers, and tacos because their crisp acidity cuts through the richness of cheeses, certain meats, and mayo-based spreads.
Eight Delicious Ways to Use Pickled Onions
- Serve with Grilled Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- Add to pulled pork or chicken sandwiches to cut through the richness
- Serve alongside tortilla chips and queso dip
- Use as an added topping for nachos
- Add to a turkey sandwich with mayo, sliced avocado, and cheddar cheese
- Use as a topping for fish tacos or tostadas
- Use as a topping for burgers (especially our Chimichurri Burger)
- Add to a toasted bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon
LET US KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS: If you try this recipe, please leave a star rating and/or a comment below. We’re always happy to hear from our readers! You can also follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram, or sign up for our email list to get our recipes sent directly to your inbox.
Pickled Red Onions
- 1 large red onion
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 clove garlic, lightly crushed
- 6 black peppercorns
- Cut the ends off the onion, slice it in half lengthwise and remove the peel.
- Place the halves on a cutting board, cut side down and slice thinly (about 1/8-inch). Separate the slices and set aside.
- Add the rice vinegar, red wine vinegar, sugar, garlic and peppercorns to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced onion, stir, and continue cooking just long enough for the onion to soften and become submerged in the liquid, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the garlic and allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, transfer the onions to glass jars with tight fitting lids and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled before serving.
- The onions must be stored in the refrigerator and will keep up to 2 weeks.