Bratwurst is a flavorful German sausage in a natural casing with origins that date back more than 600 years.
In Germany, bratwurst can be made with either pork or veal and the spices used to flavor it vary somewhat by region, but in the US, most of the bratwurst you’ll find is made with pork and seasoned with a blend of white pepper, caraway, nutmeg, and ginger.
With its natural casing and hearty flavor, bratwurst is perfectly suited for grilling. For this recipe, we’ve paired it with a generous helping of sautéed cabbage and sweet onions, and a bit of honey mustard as an alternative to sauerkraut.
Hot Dog Recipes
Grilled Bratwurst with Sautéed Sweet Onions and Cabbage
- 4 bratwurst sausages (3 ounces each), pricked with a fork
- 4 bakery-style hot dog rolls
For the sautéed onion and cabbage:
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small head cabbage, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the honey mustard:
- 3 tablespoons coarse grain, or regular Dijon-style mustard
- 1-1/2 tablespoons honey
- Combine the mustard and honey in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- If necessary, add a little more oil to the pan, then add the cabbage. Continue cooking until the cabbage wilts and reduces in volume, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the mixture, add the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring often, until both the cabbage and onions are tender and golden, 7 to 10 minutes longer. Taste and adjust the seasoning and set aside.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium heat and oil the grates. Add the bratwursts and grill, turning frequently, until the casings are crisp and lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes total.
- Serve the bratwurst on bakery-style hot dog rolls topped with the onion cabbage mixture and honey mustard.
Leave a Reply