Dill and Cucumber Salad
This light and refreshing fresh dill and cucumber salad is a great choice to serve alongside hearty meats and dishes that contain rich sauces.
Tossed with a simple combination of sugar and rice vinegar the cucumber slices retain their crisp texture and the herbaceous flavor of the fresh dill really stands out.
We recommend using English cucumbers for this salad because they are sweeter, have a thinner peel and smaller seeds. Should you decide to use American cucumbers, you may want to peel them completely and remove the seeds.
This dish is included in our Scandinavian Style Christmas dinner menu.
- 2 English cucumbers
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- Wash the cucumbers thoroughly, peel in them alternating strips if desired, then cut into 1/8-inch slices.
- Set a colander over a mixing bowl and add the cucumber slices. Sprinkle with salt, toss to combine and set aside for 20 minutes to drain excess liquid.
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a small bowl and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour off any liquid that has accumulated in the mixing bowl and add the cucumber slices.
- Add the dressing and dill, toss to combine, then cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After chilling, drain the cucumbers again, transfer to a serving dish and garnish with a sprig of dill if desired.