Spinach, Mushroom and Cheese Quesadillas
Filled with sautéed mushrooms, spinach and a smooth-melting blend of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese, this vegetarian quesadilla recipe makes a satisfying dinner that's bound to become a family favorite.
- 12 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 7 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups finely shredded cheese (we used a Jack and cheddar blend)
- 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- Sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°F and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute longer. Add the mushrooms and sauté until nicely browned, 6 to 7 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach, a handful at a time and continue cooking until wilted. Transfer the mixture to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Add the cilantro and combine.
- Wipe out the pan and return it to the stove over medium-low heat.
- Pour a tablespoon of the olive oil into a prep bowl and brush a small amount onto one side of a tortilla. Add it to the pan, oiled side down and layer on 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- As soon as the cheese begins to melt, spoon a quarter of the mushroom-spinach mixture over one half of the tortilla and fold the other side over it.
- Cook until the cheese is thoroughly melted and the tortilla is lightly toasted, turning once or twice to ensure even cooking.
- Transfer the cooked quesadilla to the baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas, veggies and cheese.
- Let the quesadillas rest for 5 minutes out of the oven before cutting. Serve with sour cream if desired.