We start by using no-salt-added canned tomatoes which is a big time saver because there’s no peeling and seeding involved.
The addition of freshly squeezed lime juice, onion, garlic, jalapeño pepper, and cilantro brings so much bright, fresh flavor to the mix, you’d never know you took a shortcut by using canned tomatoes.
Easy Homemade Salsa
- 1 can, 15 ounce diced tomatoes, very well-drained (see notes)
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 3/4 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime, about 1-1/2 tablespoons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Place all the ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor or chopper and pulse until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning and hot sauce as needed.
- Salsa can be stored in a tightly covered container for up to 3 days.
- For best flavor, remove from the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.