A one-dish dinner like this one is the perfect choice for when you want a home-cooked meal but don’t feel like fussing.
It’s a quick-to-fix combination of Italian sausage, sweet bell peppers, and new potatoes, roasted with garlic, onions, and balsamic vinegar. Once you pop it in the oven the work is done, just whip up a green salad and you’ll have a complete dinner.
About balsamic roasted foods
Tossing meats and veggies with a small amount of balsamic vinegar before roasting will give them a light glaze that enhances the inherent sweetness that develops naturally during the roasting process.
In addition to Italian sausage, try balsamic-roasting other proteins like jumbo shrimp, pork tenderloin, and chicken thighs, and veggies like Brussels sprouts, asparagus, zucchini, and broccoli.
More Italian sausage recipes:
We frequently use either chicken or turkey sausage in our recipes, but traditional Italian pork sausages will work just as well.
Balsamic Roasted Sausage, Peppers and Potatoes
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices (see notes)
- 1 lb baby potatoes, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 sweet onion, thickly sliced and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese for grating, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large, shallow baking pan with parchment.
- Precook the potatoes by arranging them on a flat plate and microwaving on high for 4 minutes. Alternately, you can roast them in the oven by themselves for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Whisk the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and garlic together in the bottom of a large mixing bowl. Add the sausage, onion, red pepper, green pepper, and precooked potatoes.
- Season with a few grinds of black pepper and a pinch of salt, toss to coat with the balsamic vinegar mixture and transfer to the prepared baking pan.
Note: Go easy on the salt as the sausage will flavor the potatoes and peppers during cooking.
- Roast until the sausage is nicely browned and the potatoes and peppers are tender and lightly caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Turn the mixture once with a spatula about halfway through the cooking time for even browning.
- Plate individual servings and top with grated cheese if desired.