Caprese Chicken Farro Bowl
This recipe combines chicken tenders, traditional Caprese Salad ingredients, and farro to make a healthy, one-dish dinner that's flavorful and easy to make.
Pan-seared chicken tenderloins and perfectly cooked farro form the basis of this healthy, one-bowl dinner topped with sautéed grape tomatoes, chunks of fresh mozzarella and fragrant basil.
- 12 chicken tenderloins (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons chiffonade of fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted (optional)
For the Farro:
- 1-1/2 cups farro (semi-pearled or pearled)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- Begin by preparing the farro. Place the farro and chicken broth in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover the farro by approximately 1-1/2 inches. Bring the mixture to a boil for 1 minute, stir, then reduce the heat to a moderate simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Test for doneness and season to taste, then continue cooking until the farro is cooked to your liking, 5 to 15 minutes longer. Drain any liquid that hasn't been absorbed.
- Whisk the olive oil together with the balsamic vinegar and Dijon-style mustard. Drizzle over the cooked farro, combine well and set aside.
- While the farro cooks, trim any white tendons from the chicken tenderloins, season on both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large frying pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until the tenderloins are barely golden and cooked through, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add a bit more olive oil to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes longer.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and combine well. Continue cooking, stirring often, until the cherry tomatoes are softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed and remove from the heat.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the farro between 4 serving bowls, add 3 chicken tenderloins to each along with a portion of the tomato-onion mixture. Top each bowl with basil, fresh mozzarella and toasted pine nuts. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 605 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 126mg Sodium: 339mg Carbohydrates: 45g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 57g