A simple combination of fresh spinach and avocado make a creamy and delicious soup that can be served either warm or chilled.
Fresh spinach and ripe avocado combine with simple flavors like onion, garlic and lemon to make a creamy, delicious soup that can be served either chilled or warm.
It's great as a first course, or serve it with a salad for lunch or dinner.
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 10 ounces fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 3-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (or light cream)
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- Melt the butter in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft and fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the spinach, toss to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking the spinach until completely wilted, then add the chicken broth and avocado and bring to a simmer. Stir in the lemon juice and more salt and pepper if desired. Cover, reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the half-and-half. Using a hand-held or conventional blender, purée the soup, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with the chopped scallions.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 33mg Sodium: 217mg Carbohydrates: 18g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 4g Protein: 9g