With only five ingredients, it's incredibly simple to prepare, and can be made ahead and refrigerated, so it's a great choice for entertaining too.Print
Braised Red Cabbage
This simple side dish of braised red cabbage flavored with apple cider and currant jelly makes a nice accompaniment for a wide variety of main dishes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Category: Vegetables
- Cuisine: American
- 1 medium head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (about 2–1/2 pounds)
- 1–1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup currant jelly
- Add the cabbage to a 4 to 5 quart dutch oven, season with salt and toss to combine.
- Add the butter and cider and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage has wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the currant jelly and cover the pan.
- Continue cooking, stirring every five minutes or so, until the liquid has evaporated and the cabbage is nicely glazed, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
For an easy variation on this recipe, replace the apple cider with orange juice and use orange marmalade instead of currant jelly.