These light, moist cupcakes have a hint spice and rum flavor, both in the batter and the frosting. The natural sweetness of the ripe bananas minimizes the need for a lot of sugar, so between that and the buttermilk in the batter, you won't find them to be overly sweet. The frosting is flavored with spiced rum and cinnamon which complements the subtle spices in the cupcakes perfectly. Try our White Cocoa Jamaican cocktail to go along with the cupcakes (recipe follows).Print
Spiced Banana-Rum Cupcakes
Use up your over-ripe bananas in these moist, lightly spiced cupcakes flavored with a hint of rum and frosted with a rum-spiked cream cheese frosting.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 18 cupcakes
- Category: Baking
- 2–1/4 cups cake flour
- 2–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1–1/4 cups mashed bananas (about 3 very ripe bananas)
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
For the Spiced Rum & Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1–1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum
- 1–3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy, then add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the bananas and beat until smooth. Add the extracts and buttermilk and combine well. Add the flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Spoon the batter into the paper-lined muffin cups and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the tops of the cupcakes spring back readily when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes cool, place the cream cheese, butter, cinnamon, vanilla extract, rum and confectioners' sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate for 10 minutes before frosting the cooled cupcakes.
- Store cupcakes in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving (about 10 minutes out of the fridge).
For a non-alcoholic version, substitute rum extract for the spiced rum in the frosting.