For this easy appetizer recipe, we made our own little two-bite pastry shells from sheets of store-bought, frozen puff pastry and filled them with a simple combination of sautéed shallots, mushrooms, and crumbled goat cheese. For stress-free entertaining, make them in advance and reheat just before serving.Print
- 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 12 ounces cremini (or white button) mushrooms, washed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Fresh thyme leaves for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and sauté until softened, 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until nicely browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Season the mushrooms to taste with salt and pepper, then transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the mushrooms cool, preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Carefully unfold a sheet of puff pastry and roll to an 8-1/2 x 11-inch rectangle.
- Using a 2-1/2-inch round cutter, cut the pastry into 12 rounds (save your scraps – see notes) and transfer to one of the prepared baking sheets. Repeat the process with the remaining sheet of dough.
- Using a 2-inch round cutter, make a centered indentation in each of the pastry rounds. Press the cutter into the dough as far as possible without actually cutting through it. The 1/4-inch rim this creates will puff up around the filling during baking.
- Beat the egg together with the water in a small bowl. Add the goat cheese to the cooled mushroom mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Brush the egg wash over each pastry round and place a small mound of the mushroom-cheese mixture (about 2 teaspoons) in the center of each.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown. If desired, sprinkle with a few fresh thyme leaves before serving.
Note: These pastry bites can be prepared ahead, wrapped in foil and refrigerated for up to two days. To reheat, preheat the oven to 375°F, open the foil packet and bake the pastries until heated through, 4 to 5 minutes.
To make use of your pastry scraps, cut them into similarly sized pieces and arrange them on a parchment lined pan. Brush with a little egg wash and sprinkle them lightly with any one of the following: Grated parmesan cheese, garlic salt and pepper or cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 400°F until puffed and golden.
- Category: Appetizers