Mushroom and Goat Cheese Pastry Bites
This is an easy appetizer of puff pastry cups filled with mushrooms, shallots and goat cheese that can be made in advance and reheated just before serving.
For this easy appetizer recipe, we made our own little two-bite pastry shells from sheets of store-bought, frozen puff pastry and filled them with a simple combination of sautéed shallots, mushrooms, and crumbled goat cheese.
For stress-free entertaining, make them in advance, store in the refrigerator and reheat just before serving.
What to do with the leftover pastry:
Any time you cut rounds from a sheet of puff pastry you're left with some scraps that are too good to throw away.
To make use of this leftover pastry dough, cut it into similarly sized pieces (they don't have to be uniform) and arrange them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Brush each with a little egg wash, and sprinkle them lightly with any one of the following:
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt and a little pepper
Bake at 400°F until puffed and golden.
- 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 12 ounces cremini (or white button) mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Fresh thyme leaves for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and sauté until softened, 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until nicely browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Season the mushrooms to taste with salt and pepper, then transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the mushrooms cool, preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Carefully unfold a sheet of puff pastry and roll to an 8-1/2 x 11-inch rectangle.
- Using a 2-1/2-inch round cutter, cut the pastry into 12 rounds (save your scraps - see notes) and transfer to one of the prepared baking sheets. Repeat the process with the remaining sheet of dough.
- Using a 2-inch round cutter, make a centered indentation in each of the pastry rounds. Press the cutter into the dough as far as possible without actually cutting through it. The 1/4-inch rim this creates will puff up around the filling during baking.
- Beat the egg together with the water in a small bowl. Add the goat cheese to the cooled mushroom mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Brush the egg wash over each pastry round and place a small mound of the mushroom-cheese mixture (about 2 teaspoons) in the center of each.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown. If desired, sprinkle with a few fresh thyme leaves before serving.
These pastry bites can be prepared ahead, wrapped in foil (do not stack) and refrigerated for up to two days.
To reheat, preheat the oven to 375°F, open the foil packet and bake until the pastries are heated through, 4 to 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 2 pieces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 148mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g