Originating in New Orleans in the early 1900s, the muffaletta (muffuletta) is a sub-style sandwich of cold cuts and cheese topped with a chopped olive salad.
Perfect for game day or casual entertaining, our party-style version starts with a loaf of crusty ciabatta bread filled with an assortment of Italian cold cuts, Provolone cheese and a flavorful relish made with cured olives, roasted red peppers and garlic.
For a variation on the flavors in our classic muffaletta, check out our recipe for a Mediterranean Muffaletta.
Mini Muffaletta Bites
- 1 cup cured, pitted black olives, drained and chopped
- 1 cup cured, pitted green olives, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped (3/4 to 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, 15 x 6-inch oblong
- 1/2 lb capocollo, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb mortadella, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- Muffaletta is best when made ahead, so start preparation at least 3 hours before serving.
- In a large bowl, combine the black olives, green olives, roasted red peppers, garlic, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice and a few grinds of black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Slice the ciabatta in half horizontally. Depending on its thickness, you may want to remove some of the soft interior so the sandwich isn’t too “doughy.”
- Spread the olive mixture evenly on both halves of the bread, then layer the cold cuts on top. Finish with cheese and put the sandwich together, pressing gently.
- Wrap the muffaletta tightly in plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Just before serving, remove the sandwich from the wrap, cut it in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 6 sections (12 pieces total), securing each piece with a pick as you go.
- Transfer the sandwiches to a platter and have small plates and napkins available for your guests.