A quick and easy ragu made with ground lamb is a nice alternative to meatballs for serving over pasta. The red wine and tomatoes complement the robust, meaty flavor of lamb quite nicely and served with a green salad, this dish makes a hearty meal.Print
Lamb Ragu Over Campanelle
This easy ground lamb ragu, flavored with red wine, tomatoes and leek makes a nice change from ordinary pasta with meatballs.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces campanelle (bells), penne or rotini
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add the carrot and onion. Sauté until the carrot is soft and the onion translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Add the lamb and cook, breaking up chunks with a spatula, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and wine, season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the lamb simmers, cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and toss with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add the leeks to the ragu and cook just long enough for them to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Add the chopped parsley just before plating.
- Divide the pasta between 4 plates and top with the ragu. Serve immediately.