Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Peach BBQ Sauce
This juicy, flavorful, grilled pork tenderloin is served with a unique barbecue sauce made with fresh peaches and shot of bourbon.
This recipe for grilled pork tenderloin is a summer favorite of ours thanks to a simple, six-ingredient sauce made with fresh peaches, and flavored with a shot of bourbon for a bit of smoky flavor.
The best way to make grilled pork tenderloin
Because pork tenderloins are so lean, we grill them using the “indirect” method. All this means is that once the exterior of the pork is lightly seared on the outside, you move it to an area of the grill that has no flame underneath.
Making grilled pork tenderloin using this easy technique only takes about fifteen minutes, the meat turns out tender and juicy, and there's no charring on the outside.
How To Cook Using Indirect Grilling
Indirect grilling is a technique that enables you to grill larger cuts of meat without burning or blackening. Essentially all it means is that you preheat the grill to a medium temperature (about 350°F) and only have the flame or hot coals under 1/2 of the cooking area.
Indirect Grilling on a Gas Grill:
If you have a 2-burner gas grill the process is pretty straightforward. Preheat the grill by lighting both sides and heating to a medium setting, then when you are ready to start cooking simply shut off one side.
Indirect Grilling on a Charcoal Grill:
Charcoal grills make the process a little more complicated. Depending on the size and configuration of your grill, you may want to pile the charcoal either on one side of the fire grate, or around the edges leaving a cooking space in the middle.
Whichever you choose, you want to allow your coals to burn until they are glowing orange and have a light layer of ash coating them.
You can tell that the coals have “cooled” to medium heat by holding your hand about 4 inches above the cooking grate. It should take 6 to 8 seconds before you need to pull your hand away.
More pork tenderloin recipes:
- Braised Pork Tenderloin with Cabbage and Apples
- Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
- Cumin and Lime Roasted Pork Tenderloin
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 to 1-1/4 lb)
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 large ripe peaches, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill for indirect grilling over medium heat (350 to 400°F).
- Trim any excess fat and silver skin from the pork tenderloin, then rub with oil, season on all sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the peaches, bourbon, mustard, sugar and ketchup and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the peaches are soft and broken down, 12 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the sauce mixture from the heat, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then purée until smooth using a hand held or conventional blender.
- Reserve about 2 tablespoons of the sauce for basting the tenderloin and transfer the remainder to a small serving bowl.
- Oil the grill grates and place the pork directly over the flame. Cover and grill for 3 minutes, then turn and brush about half of the reserved sauce on top. Cover again and continue grilling for 3 minutes more.
- Move the pork to the indirect heat side of the grill, and brush with the remaining sauce. Cover and continue cooking until a thermometer inserted into the center of the tenderloin registers 145°F (approximately 6 to 8 minutes).
- Transfer the pork to a cutting board and allow to rest at least 5 minutes before carving. Serve with reserved barbecue sauce on the side.
Frozen peaches can be used for this sauce when fresh peaches are out of season, but we don't recommend using canned.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 7g