These moist ricotta pancakes have a delicate texture and subtle orange flavor thanks to the addition of beaten egg whites and a freshly grated orange zest. Topped with a delicious, fresh Strawberry-Orange Sauce they make an elegant choice for a special occasion breakfast or brunch.Print
Fluffy Ricotta Pancakes with Strawberry-Orange Sauce
A great choice for a special occasion breakfast, these light, fluffy pancakes are made with ricotta cheese, flavored with orange zest and finished with a topping of fresh strawberry-orange sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: about 1 dozen
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest of 1 orange
For the Strawberry-Orange Sauce:
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Place the ricotta in a strainer over a bowl for at least 1 hour to allow any excess liquid to drain.
- Prepare the sauce by placing the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and orange juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch and add to the simmering strawberry mixture.
- Continue cooking until the mixture thickens to a syrup-like consistency. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the ricotta, milk, egg yolks, vanilla and orange zest until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, but not stiff. Add the ricotta-milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Whisk in about half of the egg whites until well blended, then gently fold in the balance.
- Oil a griddle and heat over medium-high heat. Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Cook until bubbles appear and begin to break on the edges and the surface of the pancake, then flip to finish cooking on the second side.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200°F oven while you cook the remaining pancakes. Serve topped with the Strawberry-Orange Sauce.