This easy-to-make twist on oven-roasted potatoes uses baby gold potatoes that have been steamed until tender, smashed into little patties and brushed with a combination of melted butter and truffle oil. Next they’re sprinkled with truffle salt and black pepper and roasted at a high heat to crisp the skin and seal in the buttery, truffle flavor. Serve with simple entrées like grilled steak, roast chicken, pork chops or broiled fish.
Crispy Smashed Truffled Potatoes
- 1-1/2 lbs baby potatoes, about 1-1/2-inch diameter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1-1/2 tablespoons white truffle oil
- Truffle salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a pot fitted with a steaming rack and add water. Cover and steam over high heat until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, 18 to 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooling, preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- One by one, place the potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and gently flatten them to a thickness of about 1/2-inch with the back of a spatula or the palm of your hand.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and truffle oil. Brush the potatoes generously with half the butter mixture and season with truffle salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Roast the potatoes until golden brown on the first side, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully flip each potato over. Brush with the remaining butter mixture and season again with truffle salt and pepper.
- Return to the oven and roast for an additional 15 minutes, or until golden and lightly crisped. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.