Chocolate Chip and Bacon Pancakes
These sweet-and-salty chocolate chip and candied bacon studded pancakes are the perfect choice for a special occasion breakfast.
When you’re looking to make a memorable breakfast for Mother’s Day, an anniversary, or someone’s birthday, these pancakes are definitely the answer.
Studded with semi-sweet chocolate chips and salty bits of bacon caramelized in brown sugar, they may not be the healthiest of morning meals, but they’re sure to make a hit.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Vegetable oil
For the Candied Bacon:
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- To make the candied bacon, preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on top and coat it with nonstick spray.
- Lay the bacon on the rack and sprinkle generously with brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake until crisp and caramelized, 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness).
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool completely, then transfer to a cutting board and chop into very small pieces.
- Shut off the oven and allow it to cool to about 200°F.
- To make the pancakes, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and candied bacon.
- Heat a nonstick griddle over medium-high heat and lightly coat it with vegetable oil.
- Ladle the batter, 2 to 3 tablespoons at a time, onto the hot griddle and cook until small bubbles appear on the top.
- Flip and cook until the second side is golden brown. Total time is about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Work in batches until all the batter is used, oiling the pan in between each batch. Keep the finished pancakes warm in the oven as you work.
- Serve with a pat of butter and maple syrup, or dust with powdered sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 652mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 12g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.