Chocolate Chip and Candied Bacon Pancakes
What better way to celebrate the weekend than with a decadently delicious breakfast of pancakes studded with candied bacon and chocolate chips!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- Vegetable oil
For the Candied Bacon:
- 3 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- To make the Candied Bacon, preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on top and coat it with nonstick spray.
- Lay the bacon on the rack and sprinkle generously with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake until crisp and caramelized, 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness). Remove from the oven, allow to cool completely, then transfer to a cutting board and chop into very small pieces.
- Shut off the oven and allow it to cool to about 200°F.
- To make the pancakes, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and candied bacon.
- Heat a nonstick griddle over medium-high heat and, using a paper towel, lightly coat it with vegetable oil.
- Ladle the batter, 2 to 3 tablespoons at a time, onto the hot griddle and cook until small bubbles appear on the top. Flip and cook until other side is golden brown, about 2 - 3 minutes per side.
- Work in batches until all the batter is used, oiling the pan in between each batch. Keep the finished pancakes warm in the oven as you work.
- Serve with a pat of butter and maple syrup, or dust with powdered sugar.