Cauliflower fried rice is a delicious, low carb alternative to conventional fried rice that’s easy to make and seriously satisfying.
Flavored with loads of garlic and fresh ginger, this tasty blend of diced ham, eggs, red bell pepper and riced cauliflower has all the hearty flavor of fried rice with a fraction of the carbs.
We’ve had great luck using frozen riced cauliflower in this dish, so consider stashing a couple of bags in the freezer so you’ll always have the makings of a last minute dinner on hand.
Cauliflower fried rice is versatile too. Our recipe calls for diced ham, but bacon is a really tasty alternative. No bell pepper in the fridge? Throw in a handful of frozen peas. You can also season with ground ginger in place of fresh (although we don’t recommend it).
The only ingredients you really don’t want to do without are the garlic, soy sauce and eggs. If you’d like to ramp up the protein, add some grilled chicken or stir-fried shrimp to each serving.Print
Cauliflower Fried Rice
This recipe for cauliflower fried rice is a satisfying, low-carb alternative to homemade fried rice that has all the flavor of the conventional version.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 24 ounces frozen riced cauliflower
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 lb diced ham
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha or more to taste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add the frozen cauliflower to a wok or large skillet and drizzle with the chicken broth. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until the cauliflower is completely defrosted and most of the moisture has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Return the pan to the stove, raise the heat to medium high and add the oil. Once it’s heated, stir in the garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the ham and red bell pepper and continue stir-frying until the pepper is crisp-tender, 2 minutes.
- Return the cauliflower to the pan and combine well, then stir in the sugar, drizzle with soy sauce and add the sriracha.
- Stir-fry until the cauliflower is lightly caramelized, about 2 minutes longer.
- Clear a well in the center of the pan, add the eggs and stir-fry just until set, breaking them up into small pieces.
- Combine with the cauliflower mixture, then taste and adjust the soy sauce, sriracha and/or sugar as desired.
- Season with a bit of freshly ground black pepper, mix in the scallions and cilantro and serve immediately.
Recipe Keywords: riced cauliflower, low-carb, gluten-free