Sea scallops are a great choice for making a fast weeknight meal. This recipe combines pungent citrus flavors with Thai sweet chili sauce, fresh cilantro and scallions to complement the inherent sweetness of the scallops. Serve with steamed white rice.
Thai Sweet Chili and Orange Scallops
- 1-1/4 lbs dry sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons coconut, or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, very finely chopped
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Drain the scallops of any liquid and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté until barely golden 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Add the orange zest, orange juice, lime juice, Thai chili sauce and scallions. Cook until the scallions are slightly softened, 1-1/2 minutes longer. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallops in a single layer and sear for 1-1/2 minutes on the first side. Turn with tongs and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add the reserved sauce to the pan along with the cilantro. Using tongs, turn the scallops to coat them with the sauce and quickly remove the pan from the heat. Do not overcook.
- To serve, plate individual portions of steamed rice and scallops, then spoon the pan sauce over both.
Leave a Reply