Spicy Shrimp and Ramen Soup
This ramen noodle soup recipe is a spicy blend of jumbo shrimp, Napa cabbage, red bell pepper, shallots, ginger, scallions, and fresh cilantro.
While it might seem like a lot of work when you first scan the ingredient list, this tasty ramen noodle soup is very easy to make and can be ready in less than 45 minutes.
Here’s what is in each of the components:
- The noodles: Any brand of ramen noodles you like will work in this recipe, just be careful not to overcook them, and give them a rinse before serving to remove any excess starch.
- The protein: Extra-large (26 to 30 per pound) or jumbo (21 to 25 per pound) shrimp are our recommendations for this recipe. Once peeled and deveined, it’s up to you as to whether or not you want to remove the tails as well.
- The veggies: Thin-sliced Napa cabbage and slivers of red bell pepper are sautéed just until wilted and added to the soup for flavor and texture.
- The broth: The spicy broth for this soup is made with a low-sodium chicken broth flavored with sautéed garlic and ginger, tomato paste, sriracha, soy sauce, sugar, and lime juice.
- The garnish: Sautéed shallots, chopped scallions, and fresh cilantro add flavor, color, and texture to the soup and make the perfect finishing touch.
More ramen recipes:
- One-Pan Pork and Ramen Noodles
- Ramen Cabbage Noodles with Sriracha-Garlic Butter
- Ramen Noodle Bowl with Chicken
- 3 (3-ounce) packages ramen noodles
- 3/4 lb large shrimp, peeled (tails left on) and deveined
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 medium head napa cabbage, cut into 1-/4-inch slices
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch (5 to 6) scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the ramen. Discard the seasoning packet or reserve it for another use.
- Cook the ramen until tender, drain, and rinse with cool water to eliminate any excess starch.
- Divide the ramen between 4 serving bowls and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and sauté until caramelized, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and reserve for garnish.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, then add the cabbage a handful at a time and sauté until slightly wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper, cook for 1 minute additional, then transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium heat, add the ginger and garlic and sauté until softened, 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, sriracha, soy sauce, sugar, and lime juice. Combine well, add the chicken stock and raise the heat to medium-high.
- Simmer the broth, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes to allow the flavor to develop.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add more sriracha if desired.
- Stir in the shrimp and cook until pink and opaque, 1-1/2 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and bell pepper, cook for 1 minute more and remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the scallions and cilantro.
- To serve, divide the shrimp and vegetables between the 4 bowls using a slotted spoon, then ladle a portion of broth into each bowl.
- Garnish with the caramelized shallots and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 179mgSodium: 1642mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 29g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.