This version of pasta primavera combines tender shrimp with asparagus, peas and a white wine-garlic sauce to make a light and easy, seasonal main dish. Round out the meal with a green salad and a chilled glass Pinot Grigio.Print
Pasta Primavera with Shrimp
This simple seasonal recipe combines shrimp, asparagus, peas and pasta with a white wine-garlic sauce to make an easy springtime dinner.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3/4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 10 ounces pasta (cavatappi, rotini, penne)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas (preferably petite)
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rapid boil over high heat. Have a large slotted spoon and a plate handy, then add the shrimp.
- Cook the shrimp just long enough for them to turn pink and opaque, 1 to 2 minutes. Using the slotted spoon, quickly transfer them to the plate and set aside.
- Bring the water back to a rolling boil and add the pasta. Don't worry about the water being cloudy from the shrimp. It will add a little extra flavor to the pasta.
- Cook until the pasta is tender, reserve about 3/4 cup of the cooking water, then drain and return the pasta to the pot. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, toss to coat and set aside (off the heat).
- Heat the remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until barely golden, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any browned bits that may have accumulated on the bottom.
- Add the asparagus and about 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the asparagus is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the peas, cook for 1 minute additional, then add the pasta, shrimp and another 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- Combine well and continue cooking until all the ingredients are heated through. Add the parsley, combine well and add a little more of the pasta water if needed.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Serve immediately.
Make the most of fresh asparagus while it's in season and try our recipe for Pasta Primavera with Asparagus and Ham too!