The addition of lime juice, Mexican-inspired spices and a splash of tequila brings a totally new flavor to ordinary shrimp cocktail. This variation makes nice finger food for a party and pairs well with margaritas or beer and other appetizers like Quick and Easy Guacamole or Queso Fundido.Print
Tequila-Lime Shrimp Cocktail
Lime juice and a splash of tequila along with ground cumin and coriander give shrimp cocktail some Mexican-inspired flair.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1-1/2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1 cup bottled chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1-1/2 tablespoons tequila blanco
- Bring 2 quarts salted water to a boil, add the shrimp and cook just until pink and opaque, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and plunge into a bowl of ice-water to stop the cooking process. Drain again, blot dry and squeeze the lemon over the shrimp. Refrigerate until chilled through, at least 30 minutes.
- While the shrimp chills, prepare the cocktail sauce by combining the chili sauce, cumin, coriander, black pepper, cilantro, Worcestershire, 1/2 tablespoon horseradish, lime juice and tequila in a mixing bowl. Taste for seasoning and adjust the horseradish and black pepper to taste. Transfer to a small serving dish.
- To serve, line a platter with lettuce and place the cocktail sauce in the center. Arrange the shrimp around the edge and garnish with a sprig of cilantro.
The best margarita:
Looking for a fool-proof margarita recipe? Click here for our best recipe.